Dandenong High School

Dandenong High School

Dandenong High School is one of the largest co-educational government secondary schools in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, catering for students from Years 7 to 12. It is the oldest school, public or private, in Melbourne’s outer east, and now has 1400 students alone on its Dandenong site on the north side of the Princes Highway. The historic façade of the Administration Building will remain, as it is heritage-listed and is a landmark of Dandenong.

At the start of 2007, Dandenong High School, Cleeland Secondary College and Doveton Secondary College officially merged to become the new Dandenong High School, as part of the Federal Government’s Building the Education Revolution. As of 2017, the school has 165 teaching and 54 non-teaching staff, as well as 1785 students.

Dandenong High School officially opened on 10 March 1919. It opened late due to the large outbreak of pneumonic influenza at the end of the First World War. When the school opened there were 104 students, and it was in temporary premises with the junior students housed at the Old Fire Station, and the senior students at the Temperance Hall and Church of Christ. The foundation stone of the Administration Building (A Block) was laid on 21 November 1919 and the school was officially opened in late 1920. In 1920 the total student enrolment was 150, of which 60 students came from the Berwick, Pakenham, Garfield, Bunyip, Hallam, Lynhurst, Cranbourne, Koo-Wee-Rup, Carnegie and Murrumbeena areas. The first Headmaster of Dandenong High School was Percival Charles William Langford, who served in the 4th Light Horse Brigade of the First Australian Imperial Force and saw action in France and the Sinai and Palestine Campaign. He was invalided out of the Army in September 1916 suffering from typhoid, and then undertook recruitment work for the Army. Langford served at the school until 1934 when he transferred to Mildura, then to Frankston in 1937 where he worked until his retirement in 1948.

The colours of the school are those of Langford’s Regiment, the 4th Light Horse, and are red and two shades of blue. The school crest was designed by the art mistress, D. McKinnon. In 1920 there were six houses – Bluegum, Clematis, Orchid, Wattle, Boronia and Waratah, though this was soon reduced to four with the loss of Boronia and Waratah. The names and colours of the houses were chosen by Dora Taylor, the senior mistress. With the regeneration of the school came seven brand new houses – Banksia, Callistemon, Eucalyptus, Hakea, Darwinia, Fern and Grevillea, all named after Australian flora.

In 2009, Dandenong High School celebrated its 90th Anniversary. The Administration Building was renamed the Langford Building in 2010, where a plaque was placed at the building entrance in honour of the first Headmaster. (Wikipedia)

Dandenong High School is located very close to HBK Constructions and you can check below maps.

Quality Home Renovations by HBK Constructions

Contact Us

HBK Constructions – Home, Bathroom & Kitchen Renovations Melbourne

50 Fitzgerald Road,

Hallam VIC 3803

(03) 7038 3595